Monday, May 26, 2008

The will to speak

Friends,

Last night, my wife, my daughters and I went to see Prince Narnia, the latest in the Disney adaptations of the amazing series by C. S. Lewis. It was truly a fun movie, with mature, well-developed characters and a clear, strong story. Afterwards, my wife remarked how easy it was to see the references to scripture throughout the film. She could see the Gospel proclaimed in scene after scene. She broached this topic with some old friends that we ran into, but the conversation fell flat... even though these were professing, Bible-believing Christians. On the way home, the Lord reminded me of His words...

Luke 9:23-26 [NKJV]
Then He said to them all, If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me. For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will save it. For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and is himself destroyed or lost? For whoever is ashamed of Me and My words, of him the Son of Man will be ashamed when He comes in His own glory, and in His Father’s, and of the holy angels.

Are our old friends headed for glory? It's not for me to say. But as we drove home, we talked about a lost opportunity to speak of Jesus in the midst of a dark world. I am confident beyond doubt that the true Gospel will reach all the Lord has elected, for He is sovereign and will lose none of His chosen. Yet, the excitement of being His instrument for last night's moviegoers will be for some other Christian. We had our shot.

When the Lord presents you with a similar opportunity, what will your response be? Will you be quiet and unoffensive? Or will you have the courage to sow seed?

Be encouraged,
Jose

No comments: