Friday, June 27, 2008

Not necessary
Not sufficient

Friends,

The phrase, "Necessary, but not Sufficient" is a bit of technical language. It is a very precise means of describing an attribute that is required, but cannot - by itself - achieve the desired result. Here are a few examples. A human body requires bones, blood, a heart, a brain, and a host of other organs to survive. All of these are necessary, but without the breath of life from our Creator, we're just crunchy bags of water. A basketball game requires a court, 10 players, and 2 baskets. But without a ball, it's just a game of basket.... and it's not much fun.

2 Corinthians 12:9
And He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness." Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. -- NKJV

The world's religious "experts" have come up with a a long list of things that are required for a correct relationship with God. I will not comment on the accuracy of their teachings. But I will say this: None of those things will be worth anything when you come before the Lord. None of them are sufficient. (It may be that few, if any, are even necessary. But you will have to hear from God directly on that one.)

There is only one thing that is sufficient, brothers and sisters. That one thing is Grace. Without grace, there is no defense that can withstand the holy perfection of God's law. But with grace, there is no accusation that can prevail.

Be encouraged, Jose

No comments: