Monday, June 23, 2008

More than faith

Friends,

All of us will face moments that test our faith. Those moments can last for a few seconds, or a few years. But as the Lord brings us through those times, we may find ourselves faced with questions that we could never have anticipated.

Questions like...
If God is for me, then why is all of this stuff against me?
How is all of this evil still hanging around my life?
I cry out to my Father, but I still struggle. Why?
I believe this is what God has called me to do. But when is the fruit going to come?

These are legitimate questions to take before Almighty God. And sometimes, we will hear an answer that we can understand. But not always. Sometimes, His answer will bring us relief. But not always. At times like these, we must have faith... and we must trust.

Psalm 121:7
The LORD shall preserve you from all evil;
He shall preserve your soul. -- NKJV

It's hard for me to articulate the difference between faith and trust. It's subtle, but I know it's there. Perhaps it's a simple as faith being something you have, and trust being something you do. But something (or some One) tells me that there's more to it than that. At the end of the day, though, we all have to come to terms with whether we really trust God or not. Do we trust Him with our work? Do we trust Him with "our" ministry? Do we trust Him with all the little details of life? Money. Kids. Health. Love. The price of fuel.

The place where we do trust Him is not an easy destination. Along the way, we encounter doubters on every side (even the inside). We will meet scoffers and intellectuals. And they will give us reason after reason to turn back. But persevere we must, for the destination is amazing. It is peaceful. It is content. It is courageous. It is a glimpse of Heaven.

Be encouraged,
Jose

No comments: