Saturday, October 25, 2008

A dark day approaches

Friends,

I depart from the normal daily pattern to express a deep concern. Although not all Christians share this concern, I did not want another year to pass before calling out to my brothers and sisters.

The Friday upcoming is celebrated across the US and the globe in a multitude of ways. Many believers see the event as harmless fun. I disagree. Recognizing the potential danger, some have attempted to modify the practice by encouraging kids to dress up as apostles or other historical figures of Christianity. Some assemblies have decided to emphasize the most early attempts at modification such as "All Saints' Day."

The holiday, however, is deeply rooted in pagan beliefs and practices. None of the attempts by Christendom, no matter how noble they appear, to whitewash these roots will ever change that fact. As citizens of God's kingdom, we do not have to -- indeed we must not -- conform to the inadequacies of the earthly kingdom.

I urge you to join me and my family in simply ignoring the day. Treat it as though it were any other. Don't force the children to wait for a piece of candy -- give them some tonight. At first, I admit it was an uncomfortable position for my wife and I to take. But our children survived and so did we. We found that others respected our view and never pressured us to change. It is a bold step to take. But not so bold as the step Christ took to free us from the bondage to sin and sinful traditions.

Be encouraged,
Jose

No comments: