Wednesday, January 9, 2008

The secret to perfect peace

Friends,

A colleague of mine does some work on the side giving presentations that promise to teach participants how to live stress-free for the rest of their lives. I heard about this during a phone call, and I had to move the phone away from my mouth so he wouldn't hear me laughing... as if I could ever trust in a man's method for eliminating stress!

Sisters and brothers, there is no doubt that our fallen world will send obstacles and hindrances into our path. They will come on a daily basis; sometimes every hour on the hour. Whenever they appear, we always have a choice to focus on the event or to focus on the One who is sovereign over that event. This is an old lesson, taught by the Holy Spirit through the hand of a prophet:

Isaiah 26:3 [NKJV]
You will keep him in perfect peace,
Whose mind is stayed on You,
Because he trusts in You.

The word "stayed" used in this passage is translated from the Hebrew word camak. According to Strong's concordance, this word comes to mean "to lean, lay, rest, support, put, uphold, lean upon." The image that I get when I contemplate this meaning is one of groping around in a dark fog, not knowing where I am or where I'm going. I'm unable to move for fear of stumbling or falling. Pretty stressful, huh? I reach out and feel the presence of my Father... strong, steady, and wise. He knows where we are. He can see where I cannot. With that, all the stress is lifted. Confidence and blessed assurance replaces fear. I step towards Him, knowing that wherever He is, I am safe.

So there is the choice, brethren. We can lean on our own understanding; which is infinitely clouded by our finite understanding. Or we can lean on the LORD and find perfect peace. Choose this day, and ...

Be encouraged,
Jose

No comments: