Wednesday, August 6, 2008

When We Make a Change

When I was young, I had a friend that turned his life over to Christ. He had always been mischievous and fun to be around and with the change, I was worried that he would be a stick in the mud. I was always looking for a chink in the armour so that I could know that my friend was still the same. But he was not the same, however and let me say that I am glad of that. Not like the Ammonites and the Ashdodites in the scripture below. They did not want change to come. They liked things just as they were because there were comfortable with the conditions.

But it came to pass, that when Sanballat, and Tobiah, and the Arabians, and the Ammonites, and the Ashdodites, heard that the walls of Jerusalem were made up, and that the breaches began to be stopped, then they were very wroth, And conspired all of them together to come and to fight against Jerusalem, and to hinder . Nevertheless we made our prayer unto our God, and set a watch against them day and night, because of them. Nehemiah 4:7-9 [KJV]

But my friend showed that despite being saved, he was still fun to be around and he still played basketball with me. He made jokes and showed me a great example. He was able to be a Christian and friend and fun without compromising his commitment. Once I became a follower of Christ, I made the same commitment to ensure that I would be accessible for others to see an example of Christ here on earth. Now, that does not make me perfect, but when we realize that we are the only Bible someone will read before they turn their life over to Christ, then we must be careful how we present the mystery of the gospel in everyday life.

Be Encouraged,

Martin

No comments: