Friday, August 22, 2008

Are you excited?

Friends,

Over the past two weeks, my youngest daughter has been counting down the days to the start of a new chapter in her life: the start of high school. She hasn't been this excited about the first day of school since she was headed to first grade. Clearly, it's a big event in her life (and ours for that matter). I get the same feeling whenever I am getting ready to start work for a new client, or when I get the opportunity to play golf. And don't we all look forward to the start of a time of relaxation?

Unfortunately, we don't often get that same excitement when heading out to Bible study. Too often, these times of fellowship and feasting on God's word are seen as obligations to be fulfilled. But the Lord loves a cheerful giver... and that includes when we let go of our plans for time and follow His.

Psalm 122:1 [NKJV]
I was glad when they said to me,
"Let us go into the house of the LORD."

I am grateful that God has placed a joy and anticipation in my heart for going to learn of Him through His word. I certainly can take no credit whatsoever for having those feelings. And I also know that every believer is capable of experiencing that joy. How do I know this? Because that joy flows from the Spirit of God dwelling inside. He wants to fellowship with us... to be lifted up, heard, understood and cherished. So let us pray that the Holy Spirit quickens our heart's desire to long for His word, to be drawn to it with eagerness and gladness and celebration.

Be encouraged, Jose

No comments: