Monday, July 7, 2008

Less than we'd imagined

Friends,

I find myself getting distracted by many things these days. Instead of focusing on God's word and His will for me, my mind is drawn to the tasks for the day... work, housework, summertime activities, etc. I cannot explain this weakness, but it's there. And I certainly know better, for the Word is clear on the stark contrast between the things of this world and the things of eternity.

The days of our lives are seventy years;
And if by reason of strength they are eighty years,
Yet their boast is only labor and sorrow;
For it is soon cut off, and we fly away.
Psalm 90:10 [NKJV]

All that this world can give any of us is labor and sorrow, even over the course of decades of living. Real joy comes the Father. And while my brain knows this, and that I have full intellectual agreement with His word, my attention still ends up wandering away.

In this season, I rely on the grace of Jesus to keep me.

This I recall to my mind,
Therefore I have hope.
Through the LORD's mercies we are not consumed,
Because His compassions fail not.
They are new every morning;
Great is Your faithfulness.
"The LORD is my portion," says my soul,
"Therefore I hope in Him!"
Lamentations 3:21-24 [NKV]

Be encouraged, Jose

No comments: