Monday, September 24, 2007

Praising at the right time

Friends,
Have we become too timid to praise? Are we sensitive to our surroundings when giving glory to God? Should we really allow society's standards to govern how we speak about the Lord?

This can be, no doubt, a tricky subject... but only if we are concerned about what the world thinks is appropriate. Rest assured, friend, that the world will never give us "permission" to speak boldly and confidently about Christ. Witness not only the blatant persecution of Christians in China, but the subtle and insidious censorship of God-fearing men and women in England, Canada and the U.S.

The proper response to the world is found, of course, in God's word:

Psalm 138:1-3 (NKJV)
I will praise You with my whole heart;
Before the gods I will sing praises to You.
I will worship toward Your holy temple,
And praise Your name
For Your lovingkindness and Your truth;
For You have magnified Your word above all Your name.
In the day when I cried out, You answered me,
And made me bold with strength in my soul.

Whenever you attempt to worship Christ with your whole heart, the gods of this world will make every attempt to silence you, just as they did to David so many thousands of years ago. They will tell you that such words do not belong at work, or in the restaurant, or at the grocery store. But in that moment, brothers and sisters, cry out to Almighty God, for He will make you bold with strength!

Be encouraged,
José

No comments: