Thursday, April 29, 2010

Battle for the Soul

But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed.Then, when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, brings forth death
James 1:14-15
(NKJV)

The battle is fierce and relentless. The battle for the control of our soul is a raging one and our Spirit and Flesh slug it out for the total control of our soul daily. The Spirit must be fed and nurtured just like our Flesh is fed with food and drinks. The Spirit must be well versed, grounded and predicated on the living word of God. Likewise we ought to mortify and put to death the inordinate and carnal affections that feed our flesh. Apostle Paul described this clearly below...

For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find. For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice. Now if I do what I will not to do, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me.
Romans 7:18-20
(NKJV)


This sin as Paul put it is what we must mortify and kill lest it grows stronger and eventually claim our soul. The Spirit will gain ground when we feed it and fellowship on the word. To shrink on this is to cede more ground to the flesh which is capable of overrunning our soul to destruction. The battle for our soul is daily and the Spirit must be fed daily for it to compete effectively with our flesh. Have you fed your Spirit today?

Be encouraged,

Afolabi

No comments: